Friday, June 17, 2011

Bringing out the best

Before I begin, I would like to start with a side note: This blog is feeling very narcissistic, but since this is not a profession-related blog, you get me. I once fancied that I would try to write an entire week of posts without using the personal pronouns I/me/my/mine/we/our/ours, but I (haha) decided that would be impossible.


Back to the point of this post:

I have a wise mother. In my post about changing the way I treat others, she commented that people who bring out the worst in us probably have issues of their own.

This got me thinking. Since I have issues of my own, I must bring out the worst in some people, right?

We should all be able to bring out the very best in people; it's what they deserve of us.

Thinking about this is akin to dangling a carrot in front of a race horse (though I am not pretending to be comparable to a race horse in any other situation)-- I want emotional health for me, yes, but I also want it for others. Others should know they are important and made in God's image. If I have issues of my own, I cannot communicate that truth to others.

So here's to mom, and here's to you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment