Wednesday, July 20, 2011

29.

I turned 29 last week. I was d-r-e-a-d-i-n-g it, but turning older came and went with nary a fuss. I had a very normal day, and maybe that's why the turning older part didn't bother me. A big fuss was not made; I took the kids to Exploration Place with a friend, came home and read during their naps, and then went to the gym when Ryan got home.

There was no cake, no candles, no birthday song. And I am glad.

I realized something this year-- my birthdays are best when no one makes a big deal out of them. I loved all the facebook and text "happy birthdays!" and the cards and gifts from family, but I also loved not having a fancy dinner to go to or a party to attend.

I am a year older. I know myself better than I did on this day last year by 365 days. And you know what? I like myself. If I don't think too much about my actual age, then I am thrilled to grow older. Life is better the more you know, don't you think?

2 comments:

  1. Well this is how we are so different. I would be really sad if no one made some sort of deal. No cake at all???? :( I can do without the candles and song...but definitely not the cake part. In fact, I'm going to go make a cake in your honor and eat it. So there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more I know, the more I want to celebrate. Even if you preferred the quiet passing of the day, our house was abuzz with excitement. Our Katie Kathryn turned 29!

    ReplyDelete