Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Can I still get a PELL grant?

Well, well, well. It appears that some people can accomplish quite a bit in eight years. I mean, not me, but others can. I just received in the mail my alma mater's English department newsletter. Let me start by saying HOLY MOLY.

Since graduation, I have taught high school English in two wonderful schools and earned a Teacher of the Week certificate and a  . . oh wait, that's the extent of my accolades.

But my classmates? Let's see, they have earned Master's degrees and PhD's and awards like "Outstanding Graduate Student" and the distinction of summa cum laude in their graduate programs. From Yale. They are adjunct professors at major colleges around the country and are interviewed by news organizations such as the BBC. They are published. Some have a PhD and a national board certification and children.

(I am friends with some of those people on Facebook. If you are one of those people, hi! And also, wow.)

So I feel sort of . . . boring. Ryan told me he would support me if I wanted to pursue a Master's or PhD from Yale. He said it would be hard to work out the logistics but that it could be done. HAHAHAHAHAHA OH MY WORD NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN. I think he was trying to say that I am capable of earning some cool, intelligent distinctions, but I was too busy yelping out of actual physical pain at the thought of going back to school that I didn't hear him finish his point.

And this is the difference between me and my former classmates: they are out there studying at prestigious schools and teaching at respected institutions and writing for legitimate publications. And I? I am laughing and cringing all at the same time and then yelling out, "Oh! I can BLOG ABOUT THIS!"

No comments:

Post a Comment